Saturday 8 January 2011

It doesn't matter If you're black or white


My hair was growing out of control, unless I applied the super mega strong hair gel to hold it down it was defying gravity and beginning to look like a very bad afro. So decided that it’s time to head down town to Bur Dubai and get a hair cut from a traditional desi barbers shop.

Walking down Musalla Street I counted over a dozen barbers shops within a distance of 100 yards, this was clearly going to be a case of playing Russian Roulette with my hair & the barbers shop.  I decided to go for the pragmatic approach and choose the busiest shop, this surely must be the best? I mean it’s like asking the audience on who wants to be a millionaire.
                                                   
Once I was in the shop and firmly seated in the big leather seat it transpired to me that the people in the store were not actually customers but partaking in a community meeting. Overhead the tv blared out bollywood videos and the politics of the world were being discussed in this little shop.

However what really shocked me was the chap seated to my right, he was a Sri Lankan gentleman with a very dark complexion. Jet Black is probably a shade too light for him, and he was happily sitting back with a face mask on. I enquired as to the nature of the mask, was this to clear out his blackheads?  not that anyone would notice them. The barber replied no, it was skin lightening cream.

Looking up at the shelves it all made sense, the multicoloured jars of creams, lotions & potions gave it an appearance of a candy shop. This was a modern day barbers shop catering for the personal grooming needs of the metrosexual man living in Dubai. That's all fine and good, but the colour lightening is damn crazy, I mean it doesn't matter If you're black or white. just be yourself……..having said that next weekend I think I’ll work on my tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment