Sunday 2 January 2011

Bachelor on the beach

Every morning I look out of my apartment window and see the beautiful Arabian gulf shores, so decided it's about time I visited Jumeirah beach.  I packed my digital camera and took a taxi to Jumeirah beach park, it's a fantastic park surrounded with gardens, play areas, bbq areas, picnic tables and a lovely sandy beach.

 With my chappals in my hand, trousers rolled up, I was casually strolling across the white sandy beach heading towards the calm waters of the Arabian gulf when I heard a loud whistle go off. Looking back I noticed that the life guard was calling me back.

What ever could be the matter, I thought to myself...I mean  my camera was safely stored away as no beach photography is permitted. I was doing nothing wrong, just minding my own business. what  possibly could he want ?

Well to my suprise I learnt that bachelors (UAE terminology for men on their own) and not permitted on the beach unless they are wearing swimming trunks, and then they have to be in the sea. So either I needed to fly my family over or buy a pair of swimming trunks. I played the Borat part again..."I am-a Brit, I'm-a new in town, I like-a you" and it worked. I was allowed to paddle in the sea and was told that I could come back at 07:00 any morning to take photos on the beach  too.

Now off to buy some speeodo's.

1 comment: